The Colts did it! They were able to slay their nemesis of so many years and win yesterday to make it into the Super Bowl. Manning sucked it up and he did the necessary things as QB to help the Colts come back from an 18 point deficit and win in the closing minutes.
And this was clearly not just a “Peyton Manning playing great so the Colts win” kind of game. The defense stepped up to hold the Patriots to field goals instead of touchdowns. Rhodes and Addai ran the ball great to keep the ball moving down field and Clark, Wayne, Harrison, Morehead, Utecht all made the catches on those all important 8 – 15 yard passes to help Indy ring up those first downs.
As for the other game yesterday, I am disappointed that the Saints and Drew Brees could not pull it out. It really was a great Cinderella story. Fortunately, I am not sad that it is the Bears who are going to the Super Bowl. Having grown up in the midwest, I like all (ok, most) things Chicago – especially compared to anything in NY or LA. I am a die hard Cubbie fan and grew up at a time when Dick Butkus roamed the D back field for the Bears. I like Chicago and I like the Bears (the ’85 team rocked), so I am glad that they are going to the Super Bowl. It is just too bad they had beat this year’s Saints to get there.
The bright side is the Colts are going to the Super Bowl. And if you are a Colts fan consider this about why it is better to play the Bears than the Saints
- You won’t feel bad when the Colts win because they aren’t dashing the hopes of the Katrina victims
- Tony Dungy is also African-American so you can’t feel bad if Lovie Smith loses
- Tony Dungy has been so close, so many times to making it to the Super Bowl that it will be okay to be happy when he wins
- The Colts have shown that no matter how great one of your players is, it takes a team to win
- Rex Grossman – ’nuff said. Ok, maybe not. He is from Indiana (good) Bloomington, Indiana (bad). He chose to go to Florida to play football instead of staying in state and playing for the “Cradle of Quarterbacks” – Purdue University (BAD).
GO COLTS !